Guest post by Amy Williams
Being a parent requires a tough and constant balance between disciplining your children enough and pampering them the way they need in order to feel loved, confident, and secure. It goes without saying that in a world where it’s easy to spoil your children rotten, maintaining that balance is difficult to do. We are here to help decipher the best ways to pamper your children without going overboard. Keep reading to learn more.
Pamper them the right way!
You don’t need to go crazy to make your kids feel loved and adored. Here are some simple, everyday ways to make them feel extra special:
Read with them every night
– most times, what our kids crave most is our time and attention. And amidst the hustle and bustle of the day-to-day, it can certainly be difficult to carve out that time. However, creating a nightly routine that includes reading together – whether that be a couple favorite picture books or a chapter each night from a longer story – guarantees some togetherness time where you focus your attention solely on your kiddo. Plus, encouraging your kids to read has a myriad of other benefits
, which is a huge plus!
Take them for ‘happy hour’ –
this may not be the type of happy hour you’re accustomed to, but it’s kid friendly and bound to show your little one how much you love them! Take them for a milkshake one night and spend the time chatting and catching up. Your child will love the one-on-one attention as well as the delicious drink!
Take trips down memory lane
– keep a photo album or scrapbook of special memories throughout your child’s life and them relive them together! They will love hearing stories about themselves and it’s always fun to look through old pictures. This is a great way to make them feel important and very, very loved.
Treat them to something sweet
– subscribe to a monthly treat to show your love and affection. This can be something they are permitted to indulge in for dessert a couple times each week or as a reward
, and the best part is that it’ll be automatically restocked for you each month. Talk about convenient!
How to make sure you’re not spoiling them
Every parent worries that their kids are becoming spoiled. Here are a few tips to help you maintain a healthy balance:
Give them an allowance
– providing your child with a weekly or monthly allowance and holding them accountable to doing their chores to actually earn that pay will teach them the value of a dollar. This is a tough one to keep up with, but is definitely a habit that will deter children from becoming spoiled.
Set limits and don’t give in
– be firm in the limits you set with your children, whether they be surrounding monetary limits, time designated for playtime, or anything in between. Showing your children that you are in control and that you are the one to set boundaries is a meaningful way to work against them feeling entitled.
Teach them gratitude
– teaching your child to always say “thank you” and to truly be thankful for all that they have is a great way to ensure that they appreciate everything in their life. Keep them humble by instilling manners from an early age.
While it’s a tough line to straddle, pampering children and ensuring they do not become spoiled is indeed feasible. Follow the tips above to ensure that you’re raising grateful, well disciplined, and happy children!
Amy Williams is a free-lance journalist based in Southern California and mother of two. As a parent, she enjoys spreading the word on positive parenting techniques in the digital age and raising awareness on issues like cyberbullying and online safety.